My Sweet Potatoes

My Sweet Potatoes

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Firefly

When I asked Phoebe what she wanted to be for Halloween, she said, "Zzz." Whether she really wanted to be a bug or was just saying her favorite word, I'll never know. But, my creative light bulb flickered and I narrowed the bug genus to firefly.
Allow me to explain the costume and why this snapshot is the best we got. Phoebe is a no-frills girl. So, to achieve wings/antennae compliance took a great deal of pre-trick-or-treat education. We read books about bugs and compared pictures of wings and antennae. I explained to Phoebe that in order to be a convincing bug, she would need to accessorize appropriately. Done. So, why the superfluous silver tutu obstructing the blinking bottom? I don't know, but every time I tried to remove the skirt she shrieked, "No!" and tugged it back up to her waist. The firefly likeness lasted long enough to accumulate a handful of candy, at which point we relaxed in the company of great neighbors who, with me, delighted in Phoebe's imperfect bugginess.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet!!!! Love the costume. And she could take after her cousin. She is almost at the "I will wear what I want to wear and it involves a skirt" phase. And it last for three years. K

    ReplyDelete